Change of Scenery

We are having a change of scenery for a few days. To call it a vacation would be to suggest a level of relaxation that is optimistic for parents with young children. Even with the help of two very generous grandparents, we are slugging back coffee this morning.

We drove up to Delaware yesterday morning. We left around the time we had hoped to arrive. The drive wasn’t too bad, except for bridge traffic, and we got here mid afternoon. Matthew actually took a short nap in his twin bed with the new bed rail. David enjoyed checking out new furniture he could cruise around. We unpacked the car, took a deep breath, and realized we had a problem.

Matthew had been displaying a few unusual symptoms. After further consultation with Grandma we realized we really needed to get him to a doctor to see if he had a UTI. We called Kaiser, we called the emergency care clinic, and we ended up at the Beebe Medical center ER. For three hours. The staff was all very professional, Matthew handled the whole thing pretty well, but man it was a long time to sit in a room. He peed in the cup, but only after we bribed him with M&Ms (1 for every 3 sips of water, 5 when he peed). We kept him entertained with books, coloring books, and allowing him to run from one end of the room to the other wheeling the blood pressure cuff. The final diagnosis was – a small infection requiring topical cream.

We had dinner around 8 pm, our normal bedtime, then got both boys bathed (separately so as not to risk spreading the infection) and got Matthew into bed around 9:30. David went to bed in the crib around 10. Not too bad, we thought. Shows you how much we know.

I stayed in the room with Matthew, Daddy stayed with David, who has never slept anywhere but his own crib in his own house. Matthew rolled around and snored (did I mention he came down with a cold yesterday morning?) until about 2:30 when he woke up. He needed a drink. He needed a book. He heard a noise. His night-light went out. He needed to pee. He wanted another soft diapey. After TWO HOURS of trying to convince him to close his eyes and go back to sleep quick before his mother lost her mind, I gave up. I woke up Daddy and said, you have to trade with me.

Daddy got Matthew to sleep by crawling into the bed with him. I went and slept in David’s room. He woke up a half hour later. Thankfully for all involved, giving him a paci solved his problem and he went back to sleep. I managed about two hours of sleep before he woke up in the morning.

My mother-in-law got a whole bottle of sherry for me to have on hand this week since she knows I like it so much. I’m thinking there may not be a lot of that bottle left by the time we leave.


August 4, 2008. Uncategorized.

Leave a Comment

Be the first to comment!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback URI

%d bloggers like this: