We got all ready for hurricane Irene the last week of summer, but that was nothing compared to the flooding we got with tropical storm Lee. It rained the entire first week of school.

It rained. And it rained. And it rained. And it rained.


On Thursday it rained really hard off on during the day. The ground had soaked up as much water as it could. We started hearing flood warnings, hardly surprising. I checked the basement periodically, but it remained blessedly dry.

A river runs through the front yard.

As much water as I have ever seen in the front yard.

Water in the backyard where it has collected before.

Water where it has never collected before.

Water RUSHING around the swing set. Crazy!

Grandma and Yeye were visiting. I took advantage of their help and headed to the gym, leaving Grandma to pick up Matthew from the bus stop. She called at 4:15 to tell me the buses could not get to school because of flooding. I was on my way home, so I rerouted and headed to school. My first attempt through the closest neighborhood failed when I encountered water so deep it covered the tires of cars parked on the street. West Ox Road was fine, although we all had to go down to one lane to avoid some big puddles. I headed for the side of Fox Mill Road with the higher trough (lower hill?) figuring it was the likelier side to be passable. I had a back-up plan if I couldn’t get down the road, but I was successful.

Once at school, I joined a line of other parents picking up their stranded kids.

It was a very wet wait. I only had my raincoat, since I didn’t plan to stand out in the rain. Inside, things were orderly, in a mildly chaotic sort of way. There were a number of staff members taking our names, the names of the kids we were picking up, and their grades. Then a runner would go to the classroom, pick up the kids and deliver them to waiting parents in the lobby.

Matthew came trotting down the hallway with his back pack around 5 pm and said, “Mommy, why didn’t the buses come get us?” I told him he would understand when he saw the water on Fox Mill Rd*. I dressed him in my rain coat and we jogged out to the car.

I had no snacks with me, so we ate the apple slices he didn’t finish from lunch. When we drove through the impromptu river flowing over the road, Matthew exclaimed “Wow. That’s a lot of water.”

It was. It was the only time I worried. Although I saw car after car go through, I could feel the water pushing against the tires as we drove. “This,” I said to myself, “is why people aren’t supposed to drive on flooded roads.”

We made it home at 6:15 pm.

Then I had to walk the dog. At least I had a chance to put on dry clothes and grab an umbrella.

And there was a nice glass of wine poured by my mother-in-law waiting for me when I got back.

* PS – If you click on the link and see the video, you should know there isn’t usually a pond on the far side of the road. To my knowledge, there isn’t usually water of any kind over there.


September 14, 2011. Matthew, Mommy, school.


  1. Suzanne replied:

    Elizabeth, you have a gift for description. This is a riveting account! I implore you to turn it into a book! Something with Biblical overtones– Floods! Earthquakes! Water then wine! No wait, that’s been done. But it is Biblical!

  2. Hurricane Irene « Boys gone wild! replied:

    […] Our storm vigilance was rewarded a few days later when we had the earthquake. And then, during the first week of school, we had the flood. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback URI

%d bloggers like this: